Bulwark Update 8 – Back to Work!

It’s been a while since I last updated this blog. I guess the reasons behind it are simply that I haven’t had much time to work on Bulwark due to my studies.

Good news then, that I’m finished for the year and I can re-focus my efforts on seeing this through to the end.

I have started work on the final two themes for the last 10 levels of the game. I will be making use of an industrial theme for some and a space theme for others. With the addition of these two themes I now have a total of 4 themes across the 20 levels.

Image

A sample from the space theme.

Image

Sample from the industrial theme.

I have also begun the laborious process of optimization, bringing poly counts within safe limits and minimizing the number of draw calls per frame. In this the process of this optimization I have also re-designed a couple of enemy units and made slight alterations to the majority of models on screen. Whilst there is minimal increase in frame rate on PC, the increase in mobile performance has been incredible.

Whilst I am still a fair distance from the finishing line I feel that the development of Bulwark is coming along nicely and should see a release before the end of the year.

One thing I did notice from some player tests a few weeks that the interface for the mobile edition needs some work, primarily the size needs to be increased for better readability but also the colours slightly darkened so to match the majority of the levels more.

I will have some more screenshots in the coming months of level progress and some new themes and ideas.

For now though I leave you with a screenshot Bulwark running on Android :).

Image

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements